IUOE Local 49
The mission of the staff at Local 49's Training Center in Hinckley, MN, is to empower our members through training and education—with the knowledge and technical expertise to perform as leaders in their given craft.
During the course of the training season, approximately 4,000-5,000 members pass through our doors. The construction training season peaks from December through May. During this time the emphasis is on classes geared to equipment operators, but "Day Training" and sessions geared to public sector employees happens all year 'round.
Be sure to visit the Health Fund's website to review all the programs that are available to you and your family as eligible participants in the Local 49 Health Plan.
49er Political Action
Sometimes it seems as though unions are under siege, but our Political & Legislative Director is out front on the issues that require us to take action, and we've been effectively communicating with legislators to educate and persuade them.
Heavy Equipment Operators & public sector employees in Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota
2013 is upon us and it looks like it will be a good construction season:
- 2 bridges crossing from Minnesota into Wisconsin, Stillwater and I-90 in Dresbach. Both projects will be multiyear jobs and we will be working with IUOE Local 139 (Wisconsin) on manning both projects.
- 2 stadiums in the Twin Cities, the Vikings stadium in Minneapolis and the St. Paul Saints stadium in St. Paul, will also be multiyear projects.
- Duluth has several years of infrastructure replacement and repair projects as a result of the 2012 floods, while the Highway 53 project south of Cook has started and will complete the 4 lane into Cook.
- Essar Steel project has several years of work and the other steel projects continue to develop on the range.
- North Dakota is still going strong with the oil industry which is creating jobs in every sector, building, roads, schools, shopping and hotels. The state has said it will put 1 billion in infrastructure improvements each year. The 80 mile 4-lane concrete highway in western North Dakota is in the bidding process, and the flood diversion in the Fargo area is starting and this is another multiyear project.
- The refinery in Berthold, North Dakota has all permits in place and is slated to begin this year.
- The Big Stone Plant in South Dakota has a new bag house project and will begin this spring.
- The Keystone XL pipeline has received the approval of the route through Nebraska. We have hope this will begin in 2013 as well.
- Cities and counties throught Minnesota have started to see more projects and if we get the bonding bill done this spring it will be a huge boost to the state.
- The Industrial, Energy plants and Refineries have huge projects they were postponing for the last 3 years and now they said they will do these and start this year.
- Enbridge pipeline said it has over 8 billion dollars of repairs, upgrades and new construction projects.
Local 49 as a whole is doing well, our health fund will not have any premium increase - the contribution rate per hour remains flat again in 2013. This is the 4th year in a row for the active members and the retirees on Medicare with no cost increase. The retirees who are not on Medicare had a small increase of $20.00 per month this year.
The training center continues to provide some of the best training in the industry and has had 5000 plus members take advantage of these classes each year. Better trained = more job opportunities for you.
Looking forward to spring,
Business Manager, Local 49
International Union of Operating Engineers